2019 CSA Call for Symposia
The Call for Symposia is Now Closed.
Deadline to submit abstracts was August 24, 2018
We invite proposals for 60- or 90-minute symposia for the 2019 CSA Conference that weave together several perspectives on a common theme. The symposium organizer should choose the presentation format (e.g., panel discussion, storytelling, Ignite format) that best meets the objectives of the proposed theme.
Proposals with a plan for dissemination after the conference (eg: a white paper, live polls with published dataset of results, a Youtube video summary) will be more competitive. Proposals that include a diversity of perspectives (e.g., citizen participants, students, educators, academics, agency staff) are encouraged.
Proposals must include:
- abstract (500 words maximum),
- name, affiliation, and contact information for each confirmed and invited participant,
- duration of the proposed symposium (60- or 90-minute), and
- presentation format of the proposed symposium.
Individual presenters in your symposium are not required to submit an abstract through the submission system. Symposium presenters are expected to attend the conference in person.
The deadline for proposal submissions is August 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST; applicants will be notified of acceptance status by early September. Presenters from rejected symposia may resubmit for individual talks/posters.
Evaluation process and criteria
All proposals will be reviewed and ranked by the CSA Conference program committee.
Symposia proposals will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Broad appeal to conference audience
- Offer a clear rationale, intellectual-grounding, and outcome/payoff for the presentation (i.e., “so what”)
- Include the presentation of data as an integral part of the session
- Address a big topic, idea, or challenge within citizen science
- Topic/structure appropriate/best suited for symposium format
- Structure and format
Questions? Email us