Below are detailed instructions on how to login or create a new account to join the discussions on this site. It’s actually much more straightforward than the instructions suggest… in fact, if you’re feeling brave, you may want to just skip to the self-starter page and come back to these instructions if you need assistance. Either way, here goes!…
1. Click in the comment box, right where it says, “Leave a message.”
2. Icons will appear, allowing you to choose to log in with an existing account if you would like. Choices include:
- If you have ever used Disqus on another site (e.g., CNN, The Atlantic, TechCrunch…), you can choose to login with the same profile if you feel that is appropriate. Click on the “D” icon if you want to log in that way.
- You can choose to login via Facebook, Twitter, or Google. If you use any of these in a professional capacity, this may be an appropriate choice… just click on the appropriate icon to go that route.
- To create a new account, click in the box that says “Name” (under where it reads, “OR REGISTER WITH DISQUS”). This will open new boxes to add an email and password. Continue via Step 3.
3. Enter your email address, a username (more on usernames below), and a password.
- Choose a name that will help this community know who you are and what you bring to the conversation. Real names are encouraged… they lend both credibility and interest, and facilitate professional networking (see a thoughtful blog post on this topic).
- Disqus only allows alphanumeric characters… underscores ( _ ) are ok, but dashes ( – ), dots ( . ), and spaces are not. Capitalized letters are just fine, and can help separate names (e.g., FirstLast).
- It is possible that your preferred username is already taken… if so, there’s a chance that it may be your own account from using Disqus on a different site. If you think this may be the case, you can go back to Step 2 and try logging in with this username (there’s an option to remind you of your password). Or, you can distinguish yourself from your Google twin by choosing a different username.
4. Click the arrow, and you’re almost done…
5. Check your email (important: the email that you used to register) and click the link to verify – then you’re good to go!
6. Close the two Disqus (email verification) tabs in your browser, and you should find yourself back on this page.
7. Before you jump right in to the discussion (the important stuff!), look for the little gear icon below the comment box. Click on that, and then your user name to take a moment and fill in your profile (it will help us all know more about who is commenting and give context for your ideas). You can also click “Edit settings” to confirm your email setting preferences – you can receive or turn off notifications of new comments.
8. Congratulations! We look forward to your insights. Choose a discussion and join the conversation…